The following information pertains to The STEM Read Summer Institute 2018. Please visit our Professional Development page for information on our upcoming institute.
Off the Page and In Your Face!
Northern Illinois University’s STEM Read creates live and online programs that inspire readers to learn more about STEM concepts in popular fiction. Our activities integrate language arts, math, and new science standards to help teachers increase enthusiasm for reading and learning.
Become a STEM Read Educator. Register for our STEM Read Summer Institute!
Become an expert in STEM Read’s unique approach to learning through our gamified field trips. Each day, you will experience a field trip, work with STEM Read experts to understand our design process, and learn to adapt and facilitate the field trips at your school. The institute includes time for networking and collaborating with your fellow educators, experts, and even some STEM Read authors.
STEM Read Educators will—
- Receive Digital Toolkits for our 2017-2018 events and one archived toolkit from our vault
- Have access to STEM Read Event kits housed in the NIU College of Education’s Children’s Literature Teaching Collection
- Have access to one NIU STEM Read Educator webinar per semester for the 2018-2019 school year
- Be able to set up virtual coaching sessions with our team during the 2018 -2019 school year
- Receive an official NIU STEM Read Educator digital badge for your email and website
- Early access to on-campus STEM Read events
- Discount registration for on campus STEM Read PD sessions during the 2018-2019 school year
- Discount registration for the 2019 NIU STEM Read Summer Institute
The STEM Read Summer Institute is offered in partnership with the Department of Curriculum and Instruction in NIU’s College of Education. Learn more about the Department of Curriculum and Instruction on their website.
Children’s Literature Teaching Collection
The Children’s Literature Teaching Collection (CLTC) is a non-circulating resource library housed in the College of Education’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction.