Be a part of NIU STEM Read!
Become a NIU STEM Read Educator!
As a NIU STEM Read Educator, you will learn how to facilitate an action-packed STEM Read event in your school! You will also have access to the materials and resources you need to make your STEM Read event a success.
As a STEM Read Educator you will
- Attend a three-day STEM Read Summer Institute from July 24 – July 26, 2019
- Receive Digital Toolkits for the 2018 -2019 STEM Read events and one archived toolkit from the STEM Read Vault
- Be able to check out STEM Read Event kits housed in the NIU College of Education’s Children’s Literature Teaching Collection
- Have access to one NIU STEM Read Educator webinar per semester for the 2019-2020 school year
- Be able to set up virtual coaching sessions with the NIU STEM Read Team during the 2019-2020 school year
- Receive an official NIU STEM Read Educator digital badge for your email and website
Other benefits include
- Early access to on campus STEM Read events
- Discount registration for on campus STEM Read PD sessions during the 2019-2020 school year
- Discount registration for the 2020 NIU STEM Read Summer Institute
- Opportunities to network and connect with other NIU STEM Read Educators
STEM Read Summer Institute
During the three-day summer institute, you will become an expert in STEM Read’s unique approach to learning through gamified STEM Read field trips. Each day you will experience a new NIU STEM Read field trip. After each field trip, you will work with the NIU STEM Read experts to learn how they designed each event and learn how to facilitate each one at your own school. You will also gain tips and tricks for how to adapt and modify the events to best fit the needs of your locations. The institute will include time for networking and collaborating with your fellow NIU STEM Read Educators and an author of one of our STEM Read selections.
This year’s special guests are Lex Hrabe and Thomas Voorhies. Otherwise known as writing team Lex Thomas. Authors of the Quarantine Series.
The STEM Read Summer Institute is offered in partnership with the Department of Curriculum and Instruction in NIU’s College of Education. Learn more about the Department of Curriculum and Instruction on their website.
Children’s Literature Teaching Collection
The Children’s Literature Teaching Collection (CLTC) is a non-circulating resource library housed in the College of Education’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
- Continental breakfast
- Campus parking
- STEM Read book pack.
Attendees are responsible for their own housing and travel.
STEM Read creates fun, hands-on games based on popular fiction books. Our high-energy games give students a chance to interact with text, participate in problem-solving challenges, and explore cool STEM concepts. Our free, online lesson plans provide additional ways for students to engage with the book and the science behind it. In the past year, we have reached over 12,000 people through our live events and hundreds of thousands more online at stemread.com