For everyone’s continued health and safety, STEM Read offers virtual experiences. To book an event, learn about special pricing for public libraries, or request one of our other past events as a virtual experience, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Virtual STEM Read Experience
Learn the science, live the book with online STEM Read field trips. We use interactive games to inspire reluctant and ravenous readers to learn more about the STEM concepts behind popular fiction books. Choose from one of these options.
- Can You Dig It? inspired by the STEAM Concepts in Holes by Louis Sachar (grades 4-6). Help Stanley survive Camp Green Lake. Hear expert talks and participate in interactive activities to learn concepts of adventure therapy, archeology, engineering, food science, math, and more.
- Survive! inspired by the STEAM Concepts in the I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis (grades 4-8). Hear from an actual survivor of Hurricane Katrina and learn STEM concepts related to engineering, problem-solving, disaster management, ethics, and communicating in a crisis.
- Saving Lincoln inspired by the STEAM Concepts in The Detectives Assistant by Kate Hannigan (grades 5-8). Become a junior detective and help Kate Warne as she attempts to thwart the Baltimore Plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln on his way to his first inauguration. Based on real historical events and the fun, fast-paced historical novel by Kate Hannigan, this experience includes challenges in close reading, engineering, code breaking, history, fashion and espionage, and more! Author Kate Hannigan is also available for a virtual talk related to this experience.
STEAM Literacy Nights
Bring STEAM and literature alive with hands-on exploration based on selected fiction books. Choose from two delivery options.
- Do-it-yourself STEAM Lit Night
- NIU STEAM-hosted Lit Night
Three topics are currently available.
- Let’s Go Polar (grades K-5) – Hear stories from the north and south poles and learn about everything from animal life to native cultures to historical exploration to climate science.
- Going Green and Growing Green (grades K-5) – Hear poems and stories about gardening, growing, and caring for the earth and then explore a variety of STEM concepts on everything from planting seeds to upcycling to composting to blending art, nature, and science.
- Artists and Apes inspired by the STEAM Concepts in The One and Only Ivan by K. A. Applegate (grades K-8). Explore a variety of STEM concepts as you help Ivan and his friends find a better home. Learn about gorillas, design better animal habitats, play logic puzzles, and more as you work to solve Ivan’s problems.
Interested in a virtual version of one of our other past events? Email us at email@example.com.